Week 27 - Routines and Systems
We have very few routines. I am coming to realise that this is not helping me. It often causes me to be late, underestimate the time I have or the time it will take to do things, it leaves me unprepared for certain things. At the moment I don't have a regular grocery day so I am either shopping 4 times in a week or we're running out of things all over the place because I haven't stopped to realise that it has been 10 days since I last did a proper shop!!
I want to get in to the habit of using one day a week to plan. Plan the food shopping, the weeks appointments, even some family outings or just activities we can do at home. I need to write everything down for everyone to see. Meals, Jobs, Ideas, almost anything! I now have a space in the new house for the pin up board and my folder with my menu plans and lists in it. Now I need to remember to use it ALL THE TIME. This is what I am going to work on, this will be the first step to getting me organised again.
Week 28 - Cleaning
Oh cleaning, you are my Nemesis. I want to be able to get everything done but I honestly feel that I lack the time and energy. When I think about it, I lack time and energy because I'm starting from a cluttered point every morning and finishing there every night. The last house had become the clutter zone. It was too big a job for me every day because I never felt like I got anywhere. This new house will be different!! Once we manage to unpack and organise everything again. Moving has both helped and hindered me in this challenge but I know in
On to the questions.....
What is your minimum standard cleaning routine?
I am going to set my minimum standards in terms of daily,weekly and monthly tasks. Each task needs to be done at least once in each category.
Daily -
Dishes
Empty rubbish and recycling
Sweep tiles
Weekly -
Plan for the week. Meal planning, shopping list, appointment list
Vacuum lounge room
Mop kitchen and dining room
Clean bathroom
Do washing
Monthly -
Vacuum bedrooms
Mop hallway and laundry
Ok, that seems so manageable it's almost funny! A minimum that will help make every single month, week and day so much easier. Baby steps again, they work so well. I won't even plan any other way.
What is your cleaning approach?
This one I'm not 100% sure on just yet. I think I'll have a try of a couple of different ways and see which one works the best for us. The daily jobs will most likely be done at the end of each day. The weekly and monthly ones are things I would get done best in the mornings, except probably mopping the floors, that would need to be done at night when the kids are in bed I think.
I think a checklist is a good idea. A print out on the pin board or even a white board. Something that the whole family can see and use, fingers crossed it gets them even more interested in helping.
Do you use any systems to save you time and effort with cleaning?
The system that will help the most would have to be decluttering. Tidying the house as we go and at the end of each day. That will mean that when it comes time to sweep the floor or vacuum, the floor will be ready for it. There won't be toys all over the place or shoes hanging around where they shouldn't be. The 'everything has a home' philosophy is also going to help. It already IS helping because we are remembering to put things where they belong (those pesky shoes especially!).
So I think the way forward for us has less to do with routine and more to do with habit for us. The way I've been able to break it down, with the help of the three questions, has made the way forward clear and seemingly easy
Oh it's nice to be back,
Jo
I love your daily, weekly and monthly tasks. That's a great way to think about it!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back hon, great updates!
ReplyDelete