Saturday, 15 September 2012

SYL - Week 36

Simplify your beauty routine


I have to be honest, my beauty routine couldn't be any simpler. I don't have one. It's not like I just do what I feel like when I feel like it, I don't do anything.

I cut my own hair. I very rarely dye it, even though I have grey at the sides. I only wear make up on special occasions (and have to borrow it from my 12 year old daughter because I don't own any of my own). I don't wear jewellery, I do now have some gemstone ones that I wear but that is for the gems, not as a fashion accessory. I have the most gorgeous engagement ring and it is never on my finger.

I'm not like most women. I hate the hairdresser. I find the whole process an invasion of my personal space and very confronting. Massages cause me great pain and they are anything but relaxing. I don't like anything that creates a one on one situation so things like facials are out too. The pressure I feel is on me in these situations makes me anxious just thinking about them. Right now I am feeling it in my stomach.

It is hard to find a way to pamper myself, to make myself feel special. I know I deserve it and it's good for me but what do you do if you hate all the normal girlie pamper things? Usually I go shopping. I LOVE to fabric shop. That is the reason I started my business, I wanted to buy fabric so I had to have more reasons to sew! But that is not spoiling myself because I very rarely make anything for myself.

My wardrobe could do with an update. I have decluttered but I think I could be a bit stricter. Maybe even just buy some new clothes that really suit me and make me feel nice. I think maybe it is time to start to sew for me. I like to dress nicely and would like to lose some weight (ok NEED to) so hopefully I will need new clothes soon. If I make them myself then I can sew, which I love and find rewarding and relaxing, AND get new clothes. Win, win!

I think this week is less about simplifying, for me, and more about getting a routine. I need to dye my hair, I do that myself too. There is no reason why I can't find time to do that on a regular basis. The same as a hair trim. I don't have to let it grow out for 6 months before I put the scissors to it again. I can do little bits regularly.

I would like to start with one half hour a week that is all about me and my beauty/fashion routine. That's not a lot of time at all but it is half an hour more than I usually spend on myself. I need to look after me, I could give myself a facial or polish my nails. I do like to feel girlie, I just don't like the regular ways of getting there. Time for a Google and Pinterest search I think, time to find ways to spoil myself and make myself pretty without having to get in to a situation that makes me uncomfortable!

There, another week, another plan :)

Jo

4 comments:

  1. Casojaha, I am very similar to you in the "beauty department"...I actually tell my hairdresser (who I see twice a year) that I prefer not to talk while getting my hair done (quiet moments to let my mind wander are few and far between!) and I would gladly spend money on craft supplies over wardrobe supplies! Let me know if you come up with some good ideas to pamper yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not alone Beth. I've spent way too long not putting myself high enough on my to do list and I'm starting to put myself first. Maybe I need to try some beauty products or something and see if I can find something I really love. Will keep you updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never thought about this til now, but I've left a few hairdressers because I thought they were expecting too much from me in the chatting dept, so it felt stressful to get my hair done! I'm going to use your words to tell them I like the quiet time if it feels too much again - thanks!!! I get the relaxation from sewing & fabric purchasing joy too & think making some things for yourself sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same - rarely wear make up (although when I do I feel nice) and I'm lucky if I get my hair cut once a year. I do dye it regularly though as I have heaps of greys (have had them since 15). Good luck in finding 1/2 hour a week to work on this.

    ReplyDelete