Thursday, 5 January 2012

Sophie's Story

I have an 11 year old daughter and I'm very lucky to still have her with me. Without the selfless gift, given by a grieving family, she would not be here.

Sophie was born with a metabolic condition called Ornathine Carbomylase Defeciency (OTC for short). In 2008 she was lucky enough to receive a liver. I have previously blogged about her illness and journey so I will just share the link here and hope that you can all ready it and learn why it is so important to talk about organ donation with your families.

Your family could make this much difference in someone else's life

Sophie's Story

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. Organ donation is such a wonderful gift. Wishing you all the very best for 2012

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG what a story!!! I had tears of sadness and joy reading it. As I was reading the first few paragraphs where you knew something was wrong with Sophie but the drs just didn't listen to you - I know that feeling well!!! I knew there was something just not right with her since she was a little bub and each time I asked the drs they would fob it off or just say she will grow out of it but thankfully I kept pushing to see the drs at The Royal Chikdren's Hospital in Melbourne, as the dr will waited months and months to see finally listen and found out what was wrong. Like you that day was sweet relief as finally you know and start working towards getting them healthy again! Mine my daughter's health problems are just a drop in the ocean compared to what you have been through, but as a mother I totally understand the feeling you have been through. I am so happy Sophie's world has turned around, she is a special girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for reading :)

    It was definitely an emotional journey and I am amazed by Sophie's strength every day.

    I was asked to write this for a newsletter and I worried about not knowing what to write or where to start. I started at the start (of course!) and it just flowed on from there. It was so easy to write, I could have written a whole novel I think.

    I also shed a tear the first few times I read it, I hadn't stopped to process the whole journey and writing it has allowed me to do that. I now try and write my way through issues and problems. It helps me sort everything out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to give your other blog writing my full attention so will wait to read it later when i am alone. My husband and i are both organ donors and it is something i believe in 100%. I wish more people would consider it as I hate to think of all the people that could be helped...

    thank you for joining in and connecting through SYL - i am grateful for all the wonderful people who found their way to my small corner of the web and then connected with others further !

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Deb. I'm very glad to have found you and SYL :)

      Delete