Sunday, 1 January 2012

SYL - Week 1

I like the thought of ending a year thinking of the positives. It is so easy to fall in to the trap of just remembering the negatives but positive things happen to us every day. We just don't seem to take as much notice of them compared to the negative ones and it is a real shame. We take so many things for granted. I've come to the realisation that I don't really want to change anything this year. I have everything I could need or want. I just need to get things in order, simply my life so I have time and energy for my family.

This is my list of everything that went right in 2011....

My daughter had a liver transplant 3 years ago and was in perfect health all year. Her courage and enthusiasm gives me so much pride and strength. She is amazing.

My four children make me smile every single day. They are so loving and considerate (well most of the time! they are kids after all!) I love that I can be proud of their behaviour when we are out and they will get in and help me any time I ask. My two big kids help so much with the two little kids (14, 11, 2 and 1) and while I know they don't always feel like doing it, they rarely complain.

I've made myself happy this year. I had a couple of very rocky times but it has taught me that I am worth the fight. I am a strong person. I am loyal and loving. I am clever and talented and I want to ignore the doubts and push on in the new year to show off all of these attributes I can be so proud of.

In 2011, I jumped head first in to my own sewing hobby and started selling items on facebook. It has given me something to work towards, shown me that I am good enough and am capable of almost anything I put my mind to (except for satin stitch on a sewing machine it seems! This I will conquer one day as well!)

Love has bought my family together this past year. The way we all stick up for each other and rally when times are tough gives me the strength to carry on. I see other families fall apart and it just makes me cherish mine even more.

I have learnt that I can be a good friend. That I can have good friends. This has been the most empowering revolation of 2011. I am worth it and so are my friends. I love them dearly and I can only hope that I give back as much as I get.

I am grateful for my family, my gorgeous friends and my psychologist! I have finally realised that I am the person who needs the work now and I'm not scared or embarrassed but ready to jump in with both feet and get the smile back on my face permanently. I deserve it and my family deserve it.

Here's to a New Year and a new me! :D


http://www.homelifesimplified.com.au/52-weeks-to-simplify-your-life-syl-week-1/

10 comments:

  1. So many wonderful things and you sound strong and loving - so happy to have you on the challenge! I think you will have a lot to share and help others!
    deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a year you have had!!! I started to read your blog because of your daughter's liver transfer- my dad has been very unwell in 2011 and it looked like he may of needed a transplant which I offered to be his doner liver if I was match. I'm so pleased to hear your daughter is well xox
    I'm looking forward to reading your journey - I'm on the journey too. Pop by my blog for giggle of my adventures on the challenge ;) http://runninginmyhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree totally with you we need to focus more on the positives, its ok to acknowledge the negatives but as you have clearly shown the positives are definately things to be celebrated. Your family sounds amazing. I am very excited about the 52 week challenge and look forward to sharing the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you all. I'm already loving reading all the blogs and getting some inspiration. I can't wait to continue on the challenge with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kudos to your courage and your willingness to jump in with both feet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lyndaal. I've found that both feet together is the best way for me to jump! I just have to do it quickly sometimes before I chicken out haha

      Delete
  6. Fantastic thoughts. I agree we don't always want to change things but just need a way for it to all work nicely together. I am striving for that same sort of happy place with friends. For many years I worked my butt of and friends tended to take a back seat and now I need and want them more than ever. Time to put in the work so I too can feel I deserve them and they deserve me. Thanks for your insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent most of my life without really close friends and have found some of the best I could ever hope for now. It did take work from me, learning how to interact and how much to give and take but I'm getting there and I'm a much better person for having them in my life. I hope you find that too xo

      Delete
  7. Love your positive outlook - and your blog title. We are often our own worst enemies. Thanks for joining the challenge - I look forward to sharing it with you. And so glad to hear your daughter is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for stopping by. We sure are our worst enemies sometimes and it's hard to turn around but at least we now all have each other for support and inspiration. I am loving SYL so far!

      Delete