Sunday, 12 February 2012

SYL - Week 6

This week, SYL's task is all about setting goals. I've been looking forward to this. I feel like I've centred myself in the last 6 weeks, found out what my values are, what my life balance looks like and where my priorities lie. Now it is time to get planning.




I've been looking back at my values from Week 2. Honesty, Responsibility, Courage, Family, Positivity and Resilience.

 Then I took a look back over Week 3 and my mission statement and thought about my key words. "slow down, quality time, respect and dignitycherish, support, stand strongbelieve in ourselves."

Finally a quick peek at Week 4 and the Wheel of Life. I didn't need to look very hard at this one because with two number 1's on there, it was obvious that I have areas in my life that need emergency assistance! Relationship and Home.

I'm always amazed by how well everything ties in together. If I didn't know better, I would think every post had been written at the same time, not over a few weeks. This is how I know that I am being open and honest and it's the reason I am enjoying this challenge so much. So lets get down to business.

Goal 1 - To repair, strengthen and enjoy my relationship with hubby.

This is a big one. It is such an important thing that it is quite daunting but I will not let fear or doubt stand in my way with this one. I can't be without Trav, it's not an option so this goal will be accomplished in full over time. It definitely needs to be broken down in to smaller goals though.....

Mini goal 1 - To spend one night a week with Trav. No computers or phones. Just the two of us, playing a board game, talking, watching a movie, cuddling, taking a bath. Something relaxing that gives us time to connect and touch again.

Mini goal 2 - To sit and talk honestly about how we feel, why we feel that way and what we can do to help the situation we find ourselves in. This talk will be quiet and calm. We will let each other speak and actually listen to what we are saying. I want to learn where he is at and find out his goals, hopes and dreams. I used to know these things.

They are my starting mini goals for goal 1. I haven't included a time limit because I'm not sure when it will happen but I will get started on them both straight away. I want mini goal 1 to become a regular habit, right now it sounds like the perfect way to spend an evening.


Goal 2 - To declutter and organise the house so it can be maintained easily.

This one needs mini goals as well because even though my house is not like something from an episode of Hoarders, it could definitely be neater, tidier and cleaner. I want one of those houses where you don't need to do a mad rush and tidy things when you find out people are coming over (do these houses even exist?).

Mini goal 1 - To organise one room at a time in this order. Lounge, Kitchen, Bathroom, Hallway, Bedrooms. The bedrooms get lumped together because as Trav and I sort ours, the big kids can sort theirs. I am starting with the Lounge and Kitchen as they are already half done. I have made a start on this goal, almost every night before I go to bed, the dishes are done and the Lounge is tidied. I just need to declutter both rooms a bit. So a small start to a bigger goal. This one I am very excited about.

Mini goal 2 - To write a list of chores that need to be done. This will be written in weekly format and pinned on the fridge so that everything can be ticked off when it is done. I want the whole family to be involved in this one. I want to instill a sense of pride in my children, I want them to be proud of their environment and their abilities and effort.

So in the next few weeks I would like to have this house running like clockwork. A bit of hard work to start with but hopefully the habits build and I can get in to a great routine and end up having tons of free time to relax and enjoy all our hard work.

I plan to revisit my goals in the near future and hopefully I will have accomplished both of these and be able to look at my Wheel of Life again and see what needs some work next.

Thanks for reading once again and have a great week xo

11 comments:

  1. awesome post. everything sounds better when its broken down into little bits!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. I think my biggest problem has always been just looking at the big goal and getting overwhelmed, therefore never even starting the process! The smaller goals definitely seem manageable :)

      Delete
  2. Dont you hate it when you get that phone call and someone says, "We'll be there in 5 minutes!" I have a mild panic set in even if the house is tidy. I'm trying to keep my house so that phone call wont bother me. Its working one room at a time at the moment! Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one room at a time is the plan here as well. I figure if the lounge and kitchen are clean then we're pretty right. Until a visitor needs to go to the toilet and then the bathroom to wash their hands. Then the panic sets back in haha

      Delete
  3. Great goals, yep they are very similar to mine.

    The quick tidy before people come over is so tiring isn't it! I got my house professionally cleaned yesterday - and it really made a difference to me trying to keep it tidy - granted it's only been 1 day, but when the kids spilled cake crumbs last night, I got out the dustpan and cleaned up right away, whereas in the past I would have left it until I had more time (or thought well I have to sweep the floors anyway - leave it until then).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I hope to achieve with my goals, I want the reason to clean up the small messes instead of feeling like it's ok to let it blend in with everything else until I get around to a big clean lol. I hope you're still enjoying a gorgeous clean house :D

      Delete
  4. Love how you have focused ont he critical areas and broken it down - fabulous stuff and exactly why I wanted us to be clear - no need to set goals in all areas of your life when you know where the impact will be greatest right now.

    I love your 2 goals for you and Trav - my hubby and I have got to do the same and it is sad that we almost don't know how to be without tv / dvd /computer. we used to play cards and games and backgammon all the time and talk - i think i will aim for that at least 1 night a week too.

    deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I figure that the other areas of life are going ok at the moment, some of them can be worked on later and I'm sure a few of them will benefit from me working on these first two goals.

      I'm always amazed at how much we rely on technology that wasn't even there once! We definitely need some time without it to reconnect :)

      Delete
  5. Really clear and achievable goals. I like the format that you have done them in, with the mini-goals following the big goal.

    I also love the name of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think anyone has those dream homes you talk of, where you don't need to do a mad rush before a visitor, at least if they do- they don't have kids!

    Goals seem so much more achievable when broken down like that, best of luck with the re-connecting (something that needs to be done in my household too) and the de-cluttering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right! Kids seem to change everything haha

    ReplyDelete