Conduct a time audit. 4 simple words that, as soon as they were read, spelled reality to me. Time to stop, look, listen and think. How much time did I really have in each and every day? How many tasks did I need to do each day? How many was I getting done? How many of these are actually important?
I have never seen a time management matrix before and I now love it and have spent the week thinking of things in terms of the 4 quadrants. It is great to see and notice the difference between urgent and important and urgent but not important. It is that quadrant, number 3, that gets me off track and wastes my time the most. The email I HAVE to check, the Facebook post I HAVE to read. All very urgent but not at all important. Especially if I'm in the middle of cooking dinner! Unless an ingredient is stored inside my laptop, I shouldn't be touching it whilst in the middle of preparing a dish. Seems simple but I have been getting distracted by things like this because I never bothered to slow down and consider if they were important at that very moment or not.
I have realised that I don't have enough time to complete all the things I should, or think I should, be completing each day for 2 reasons.
1. I don't prioritise. I need to stop thinking of everything as a job I need to do today. Yes I need to trim the trees but if I have done 5 loads of washing, the dishes, bathed the kids, vacuumed the floor and done some sewing, then it's not surprising I haven't trimmed the trees. I need to make a list of what needs doing and when, then I will be able to work in order of need and everything should eventually get done. (Should!! I've yet to put this in to practice properly).
2. I get distracted. This happens because I feel overwhelmed. I manage to clean 3 rooms at once and can't see what I've done in the last hour. I need to get one job done at a time so I can see results. Making lists will really help me here as well. I will be able to chip away at the jobs, already knowing what comes next so I can easily move from one to the next.
So the next move forward is to write a big master to do list and also have a go at a 'brain dump'. I'm sure I'll feel so much better with a concrete list to look back at all the time instead of carrying everything around in my head like an overfull handbag! (we all know how those can get don't we ladies!). It will also help hubby know what needs to be done instead of having to always ask. His brain doesn't work like mine, he seems to have an open box that things just fly out of instead of a bottomless handbag haha.
Priorities will go like this... Housework/Family. Me time/Sewing. Facebook/Socialising.
I am feeling so positive today and I'm starting to realise that I have plenty of time in the day, I just don't always spend it on the right things. Time to revisit my goals and values and take another wonderful baby step in the right direction. I've never managed to continue anything for 15 weeks in a row I don't think!! I only made it to the 3rd day of the photo a day in April, oops! In my defence, I was away for half of it with no internet access so forgot what to take photos of! lol.
I'm so glad to have some wonderful blogs to read, gorgeous people to comment on my blog and a focus towards a simpler life than I have ever had before. Huge, giant, enormous thanks to Deb for her post every week that helps me clear my head and keep stepping forward xo
Casojaha, I was very much in your place when my husband told me he had been monitoring how much I was online and it absolutely shocked me how much it added up (still trying to find out how he did it!) and he also showed me an article about Facebook Addiction. I was mad he was 'spying' on me, but so glad he did. I quit Facebook there and then and couldn't believe how wonderful it was to have so much time on my hands to do as I please… especially to do things that mattered and not be comparing myself to what others were doing. Why don't you just continue those baby steps, and just allow yourself to log on at certain times of the day?
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are loving this challenge. Keep taking those baby steps forward!
I think that is a really good idea Kate. The internet is definitely something I enjoy and it what I like to do for my down time. The problem is I'm using it at the wrong times and just too much overall. Today I have used it less, tomorrow I will set times and see how I go :D Thanks so much for your support and encouragement xo
DeleteI also catty 'my list' around in my head like an overfull handbag!!! I watched 'I don't know how she does it' the other night and laughed at the opening scene when she has 'the list' going around in her head. I am still on school holidays and in my mind I am working towards the start of Term 2 to be where I implement lots of the ideas that Deb has - and that I've been wanting to do for awhile but.... 'haven't had time' - ha ha!!! I am using the holidays to do a lot of the prep work so I can have a new focus/routine going that doesn't see me distracted or overwhelmed or more importantly stressed and burnt out. I agree that FB is a huge time waster and I often end up reading what people I haven't had contact in 10 years are doing which is absolutely pointless. I'm actually considering only highlighting my overseas friends that I enjoy catching up with and if I really need to find out what others are doing then just click on their profile - but I seem to check my FB and end up on a newsfeed that I don't care for, don't know and that is definitely not a priority in my life - I've started being quite strict these school holidays and stopping the procrastination that leads to my late night frenzy of getting things done. My mum has often said that she feels tired just listening to what i do.... I need to take a 'chill pill'...
ReplyDelete'carry' not 'catty'! Which is quite appropriate for Deb's new task.... when we try and do things too quickly or multi task we make mistakes!
ReplyDeleteThat exact thing popped in to my head today when I decided to put my prescription in to the chemist on the way to Medicare. Of course I got to Medicare to claim my refund and remembered that I had left my Medicare card with the Chemist!! LOL. I need to slow down as well and I think it is making a big difference at home. Hopefully it will lighten my mind as well.
DeleteCutting down the friends that show up in your newsfeed is a great idea. I have a lot of pages that I 'like' that I don't need as well. I think it's time for a Facebook clean out all over again :D
Love this post hon! i love how your thought process is going and your willingness to be kind to yourself and go with the baby steps. I get distracted a lot - that is why the slow down and focus challenge is one i said i still work on - not all of us are wired naturally to be that way even though it is beneficial. I am often back and forth between rooms, half finished the task and interrupted by someone else or a thought that steers me another way. Practice though and we can do it - i refuse to burn any more food from not being able to just slow down and be in the kitchen while somethimg boils (painful for me LOL)
ReplyDeleteDeb @ home life simplified
Thanks Deb. I really feel like I'm getting there now. I've been planning and writing lists and it has taken a weight off my mind that's for sure. I'm sure I'll find a great balance and a way that works perfectly for me, I'm sure it will be a mixture of things.
DeleteStanding in the kitchen watching something cook is so difficult for me to do!! lol. I can't stand still long enough!
Can I just say, i LOVE how positive this post it! because there are some pretty tough reality's you discovered in it, and you could totally have gone all hard and debbie downer on yourself and you absolutely didn't. You picked it up and went, you know what, it is what it is, but it is absolutely in my control to change or be better.
ReplyDeleteYOU GO GIRL! can't wait to see your next post xx
Thanks Lyndaal. I hadn't though about this post the way you've put it but you're right (as usual!). I finally realised that I had control and I also now have some tools to make it all happen. I've had a much better week so something is definitely working xoxo Your support means so much, thank you
ReplyDelete