Sunday, 1 April 2012

SYL - Week 13

Checking in



This week for SYL we are revisiting our goals, checking in to see how we are going. Week 13 - Checking in

When I first read that it was a week to stop and look back, reflect and evaluate, I took a nice deep breath in. This was a good week! One where I didn't have to confront any demons or tackle any of the big issues. Boy was I wrong!!.....

My first goal was to do with my relationship.
Goal 1 - To repair, strengthen and enjoy my relationship with hubby.
Mini goals were to spend one night a week technology free. Just hubby and I reconnecting and finding ourselves again.

I must admit that we did this once. The first week. It didn't even go that well, we just didn't really know what to do and I'll also admit that it was hard for me to not be on the computer and it was harder for Trav. I really want to keep this goal exactly as it is but I think we need a little more structure to that night. We need to have a set time to have the kids in bed and we need to have already decided what we shall do. Maybe we can plan something earlier in the day and then save it for when we have time to ourselves.

So goal 1 is definitely still a goal. I don't think it is the most important goal, I have realised that it sits in second place because Trav and I spend some time together but I spend MOST of my time in the house which is why goal 2 is actually my most important goal now. The house/home environment is my biggest bringer of frustration!.....


Goal 2 To declutter and organise the house so it can be maintained easily.

Ok goal 1 was also broken down in to mini goals. The first one was to organise one room at a time, make it manageable. This bit we are on track with. The bathroom and toilet are under control and have been for a few weeks. When I walk in to a clean bathroom, I get a sense of calm and relief. I have also noticed that when I ask one of the big kids to take the dirty clothes to the laundry or wipe the basin, they don't even complain and I think that is because it is a simple task. There is no giant bathroom monster hiding in there somewhere! It is just one tiny job that is simple and easy so they do it and it is one less thing on my list.

The second mini goal was to write a list of the chores to help us all see what needs to be done and to help keep on top of everything. I think I had just written this one and totally forgotten about it. I am going to write this list this week and stick it up for everyone to see and use. They can tick off jobs, possibly even earn points if we can work out a system and a reward. Things like that work so well with the kids.

This was part of the closing of my goals blog...

So in the next few weeks I would like to have this house running like clockwork. A bit of hard work to start with but hopefully the habits build and I can get in to a great routine and end up having tons of free time to relax and enjoy all our hard work.


It has been 7 weeks and I am a little sad that my house isn't running like clockwork but at least I am working on it. Parts of it need a lot more work and I think my biggest problem was that I wrote the goals and then didn't revisit them enough. I am going to print them out or write them somewhere so I can see them a lot, just like my vision board.


Another problem I have is that to achieve my goals I need to rely heavily on other people. This is difficult when the other people don't share my want or need to fulfil the goals. They understand why I want these things but they don't necessarily want or need this stuff for themselves. We all have different priorities and I know mine are very different from Trav's. We will get there. We have made some progress from the week 6 challenge and I know that I have made amazing progress within myself.


Onwards and upwards! :)

16 comments:

  1. The fact that your bathroom is working well for you is proof that you are getting there with your goals, I think sometimes it just takes others in our houses to catch up! I hope that you see more small changes that will add up to great big ones! Hope you enjoyed the week to check in and rest! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annaleis. I have had a very productive day today and I am focussing on the the small changes as you said, they really are starting to add up xo

      Delete
  2. one step at a time... :) last year, you might not have even been able to articulate these goals, so you are movng forward even when its not big and smacking you in the face :) be kind to yourself... you are going to get there in all of these xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyndal. You are so right, even to just realise and write my goals is a big step forward. I am getting there, I have managed to get my lounge organised today and it has shown me that I can find motivation if I just revisit my goals and vision every now and again :)

      Delete
  3. I had the same goal for hubby and I to have one night together technology free - we didn't even do it once - so you got there more than I did. And it is so hard with it's a goal for us but not necessarily others - especially the kids - they couldn't care less about a clean and clutter free house!
    Well done on getting your bathrooms sorted! That is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can both manage to reach our technology free night goals Bec, eventually! Yeah the kids don't seem to share my passion for a clean house, that is why I am now cutting down on the amount of stuff they have to make a mess with! :D

      Delete
  4. I'm a bit like you, the goals were there, but that is pretty much it! But I do think, with this next challenge of time management, all the goals and steps needed could be scheduled into my week, and more likely to be achieved. You'll get there. As you say 'onwards and upwards'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep my goals were just there too, I forgot to even think about them again I think. I am really looking forward to the time management work. I think that will definitely help us all find the time to achieve our goals :) Good luck!

      Delete
  5. You need to be kinder to yourself. This isn't easy and as I found we have great ideas and make all these great plans/goals that really don't work for us. I have revisited my goals and changed them, it is important to realise that we live with others and while we really want these changes it is our goals not theirs. My hubby is supportive but has pointed out that it is my challenge not his.....
    Here's a thought for you, does the time you spend with your hubby need to be technology free - if you both like technology can't you share the experience.
    I love the fact you have acknowledged you have made amazing progress within youself.... you know what this is what really matter. Well done. I look forward to following your blog. :) Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had the same comments from people I have talked to today. I think I've just had a tough time and slipped back to being hardest on myself. I think hubby and I will have a bit of a chat, you've made me realise that I might need to adjust my goals as well, to fit in a little better with the family. Thank you for reading and your comments. I love hearing everyone's idea's and stories xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also feel like one day everything in the house is under control, then all of a sudden it's like a bomb has exploded and there is mess/stuff everywhere! I keep reminding myself that this is a 52 week challenge and not to worry too much at this stage - I definitely need the time management task!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Emma, I'm in this for the long run and I need to remember that. I'm really looking forward to the time management tasks too.

      Delete
  8. I think you need to give yourself a lot more credit - if you have nailed down an improvement on the bathroom etc and the kids are happily helping and it is more natural for you all, then the next step is to build on that with another space - slowly you WILL get there. I am organised, i am on top of my house etc BUT it never runs like clockwork. maybe think about an interim goal of what standard you are trying to reach - clockwork is a lot and very hard to achieve and maintain. decluttered is a strong goal that is attainable, family involved with daily tidying and cleaning is a strong goal etc Clockwork is a big ask hon! Good on you for what you HAVE achieved.

    deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Deb. We have managed to sort and organise the lounge room as well :D I did have a good think and let myself see that I really had made a great start. Clockwork is definitely not something anyone can maintain, now that I think about it, most people couldn't even attain it at all! I'm giving myself a lot more credit thanks to everyone helping me see the big picture xo

      Delete
  9. I love that you've broken these things down into mini-goals. Sometimes things can seem too overwhelming otherwise. I say whatever is working for you. Well done on getting your bathroom in order! For me, it's my kitchen. I totally get that feeling of calm you mention. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, the mini goals work really well for me, I get overwhelmed easily and then tend to give up. So far so good this week :D Good luck getting your kitchen working for you!

      Delete