Dealing with change
Change is something that I look forward to, often strive for, but it is also something that I fear. It is the great unknown isn't it? The change we imagine can be amazing, bright, easy and comfortable. The problem is, we need to set the wheels in motion and be able to deal with everything else that comes along for the ride. The possibility of losing friends if you change the way you act, think or speak (truth be known, you're better off without these people if they don't accept the new you). The chance that things will go wrong and you'll end up back where you were, or worse, further back than that. The chance that you might make it to the end and not actually like the changes. I believe that change is a gamble. You can hedge your bets or stack the deck in your favour but there is still a chance that you won't get everything you bargained for.
This is what holds me back at times. I've been wanting to work on my relationship with hubby. What if we spend more time together, get to know each other again and then find out that we don't like each other? I know it's a long shot but what if our relationship is suffering because we have honestly outgrown each other. These kind of thoughts fill my heart, make my heart race and my breaths shallow. Once upon a time I would have let them overwhelm me. I would have ended up in a full blown panic attack and then avoided working towards that change at all costs, just in case the panic came back the next time I thought about it.
I have come so far this year. 12 weeks of looking inside me, finding out who I am and what I want. I know that SYL is for me because I seem to be ready for every new challenge as it gets posted on a Monday morning. I have already started making little changes and just thinking about the bigger ones. Trying to prepare myself and my family for what is to come. Then I see that this week's challenge is all about change and figuring out what is stopping us.
Fear is stopping me. Plain and simple. I have enormous self doubt, I am working on it and I can see definite improvements but I have a long way to go. I often think I'm not good enough, not worthy, too lazy, too unlucky, etc to end up with the things I strive for. I have the most gorgeous little cheer squad behind me and they were praising me and my sewing skills just the other week and I believe the comment was along the lines of them loving the items I create, now they just need to get me to believe it. I'm getting there. Pride is a very strange, new feeling to me. It feels good but it's so new that it can be a little scary.
The one thing that is helping me towards making the changes that I need is positive thinking. Deb, at SYL, is helping so much. I usually check Facebook in the mornings and to be able to read small positive quotes and comments really helps me to start my day in a positive head space. I've learned to take a deep breath and shake the negative thoughts out, replace them with positive ones. My favourite question for myself at the moment is "Why not?"
Why can't I do anything I put my mind to? Why not strive for something I've always wanted? Why not try to make my life easier and simpler? There is no answer to any of these questions. Not one reason why not. So I need to move past the fear and anxiety and just try. Set myself achievable goals and reward myself when I get to them. If I have a slip up, take a deep breath, learn from it and keep moving forward. Nothing is worth making yourself go all the way back to the start.
This is what I have learned in the last 12 weeks. I know what I want and I am teaching myself that I can have it. One of the biggest changes in me so far is the fact that I am including my family in my activities, even just the house work. The older kids need to learn these skills and the younger ones love to help when they can. I don't need to get stressed and overwhelmed. I have lots of hands to help me as long as I can relax and ignore the half wet coffee cups in the cupboard! At least the dishes are done right? :)
I can finally see our future. It is simple, uncluttered and happy. We talk to each other instead of at each other. We want to spend time together, we actually choose each others company over technology and we are happy. This is all achievable and I am now finding out the best way to get there.

thank you so much for your post, for putting into words what I have been feeling. for me its been about what I might loose (and I've lost a few things) when really it should be about what I am gaining (I've gained so many things that I never believed I could). Change is never easy but in this case very worthwhile. I totally get what you are saying about your relationship - I've gone through a similar thing with my hubby and you know what we are stronger and better than ever because I am being true to myself and he likes that. he doesn't always agree with me but he encourages me. Well done on your honesty, openess and your successes. yes you do have many things to be proud of. I love your "why not" and if you don't mind I might just have to borrow it. thanks so much for sharing. take care :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Rita. It is so easy to focus on the things we have lost and not even realise that we have gained 3 times as much! Hopefully all this positive thinking that we're learning will help us turn those thoughts around. I think my hubby and I will be like you guys, when we are back to being our natural selves, we will remember why we fell in love and get right back there :) Borrow away hun! I'm so glad that it has helped you already xo
ReplyDeleteI love your why not phrase. It's a good one. I'm inspired by you wanting to spend time together rather than technology. We are still stuck on technology - hubby watching his TV show in 1 room and me watching mine in another. You have inspired me to change!
ReplyDeleteThanks Bec, my thinking is slowly turning around and it's much harder to find an answer for why not :) We love our technology but it really does come at a cost. Hubby and I will both sit next to each other on our laptops and barely speak for the night! It's a work in progress but we are getting there. Good luck finding a balance in that area yourself!
DeleteThe unknown is kind of scary, isn't it? I am like you. Loving this Simplify You Life challenge, but just a little fearful of where it is leading me. You might like the quote I found for my challenge this week, by Martin Luther King, Jr.
ReplyDelete"Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step."
Kate, thank you so much. I love that quote. It is perfect for those days when I get overwhelmed by what may or may not lay ahead. Sometimes focusing just a little bit in front of you is so much better.
DeleteSuch an honest post- thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhy not is such an important thing to ask ourselves constantly {and to ask others to give them the boost they may need also!}. Never stop!
Thanks Lulu. The comments on my post have made me realise that this is a saying that a lot of people could benefit from hearing so that they can think about it themselves. There are often not many answers to the question of why not :)
DeleteThanks for sharing! "Simple, Uncluttered and Happy" Sounds exactly like I want in my own life. It's amazing isn't it that over 12 weeks the little steps we are taking are starting to add up to make noticiable changes in our lives. Goodluck with the next 12 weeks! Annaleis xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Annaleis, I can definitely see the changes in us all already. Imagine how awesome we will all be at the end of the 52 weeks! :p
DeleteAsking the "Why Not ?" question is not only poweful, but I think it's empowering. You suddenly realise the options are wide open to you and dare I say, nothing is impossible. Sounds like you're doing great stuff with the challenge ! :)
ReplyDeleteVery true Grace. I think we talk ourselves out of a lot of things. The mind is a powerful thing!
DeleteYou were so very honest this week!!! Well done!!! I think it is hard to start making changes when the outcome is scary - but i guess if you make small changes along the way to the bigger changes you want to achieve then the outcome may not be as scary!! I love that you wrote you let the kids help with the housework, mmm something i SHOULD do but cant (i am a control freak!!!!), and the comment about the half wet coffee cups in the cupboard i love, because really, who ever died from that?!?!? Maybe i should take a leaf out of your book and give it ago..... I think you have come alot further in the last few months than you might realise, try not to be too afraid of change, as theres probably more chance of the outcome being positive, after all why would you be wanting the change........ :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Paula. This week really has shown me how far I have come and that I shouldn't be scared of change, it is all around me. At least now I am gathering the tools to make the slow, steady changes that are less risky and more likely to stick!
DeleteI am a control freak too! LOL it took me a long time to let the kids help and I still often have to leave the room while hubby and the kids do the dishes ;) there are some things that I just can't watch!! haha. Good luck having a go at it, it's a hard thing to do but it really has helped take a load off my shoulders :)
Positive thinking is amazing, and it is so great to start your days off :) i also wonder, if you need that extra oomph some days, if you have heard of brave girls club? Do a google search and subscribe to their daily email.. some days when it arrives i skim it and just file it away, but some days, it is just what i need to be reminded that everything really is going to be okay x
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of that club Lyndal but I will definitely look them up. Sometimes all I need is that little seed to be planted in my head and I'm off in the right direction!
DeleteWe have so much in common and i want to give you a hug and say heck yeah "why not?" - it takes a lot of effort on my part to push past the fear and anxiety - i am right there with you. Cheerleaders help of course but I know the more we push through the fear and anxiety the stronger we will be until it is in our past and not our future.
ReplyDeleteDeb @ home life simplified
Thanks Deb. We really do have a lot in common. I can't wait for the fear and anxiety to be in my past and not my future. I definitely feel like I'm in front of it at the moment thanks to this challenge xo
Delete