I am really struggling this week. My depression and anxiety are back at near full force. I am almost house bound because of it and I am scared. I know that I am standing on the edge at the moment. I have a decision to make. To step forward, confront my fears, prove to myself that the effort to breathe, eat, sleep, is worth it. Or to step backwards and let the dark embrace me again.
This is a decision that needs to be looked in to deeply. I need to take my time and weigh up the pros and cons. I think. Maybe it's as clear cut as it seems. As if I would step backwards, make the fight harder, let the demon win. As if there is any chance but to pick myself up and continue the fight, for my husband, for my children, for my 2 best friends. But I do have a choice, I do have a decision to make. At the moment I can't make it so I'm just staying here on the edge. Either step seems to be too much effort right now.
Decision making comes easy to me at times. I know that the less impact the result has, the less time I will worry about it. When I do the shopping, I go by price first. The biggest issue is money so the decision is made by that mark. When I dress the kids, the biggest issue is their comfort so I dress them to suit the weather or the activity. Easy done.
The process gets a lot harder when the path I choose will take me towards something that will make me anxious. I hate to leave the house, I avoid it where I can at the moment. My eldest son needs a new pair of school shoes. To get them, I need to take him to the shops. I can't do it, the anxiety is too much. He has a pair of runners so has been wearing them to school even though he isn't supposed to. This has put off the need to make the decision to go to the shops and buy him new shoes. If I had done it a week ago, I wouldn't still be anxious about it. It would be done and I would have moved on but instead, I am sitting here still worrying. Knowing that tomorrow is Sunday and it's the day I am going to have to buy him new shoes. The mole hill has turned in to a mountain. Why? Because I didn't make the quick decision that was called for last week.
I have learned that I need to categorise the decisions to be made. Spend time considering all the information for the important ones and just make the less important ones. I am making life so much harder for myself by hanging on to issues and problems that are not worthy of my time and energy. The school shoes should be bought because they HAVE to be. There done. Tomorrow we are going shoe shopping. There is no danger at the shops, no giant monster waiting to eat me. No one cares that I am there or what I am wearing just like I don't care about them. I can do this. I think.
I wish I didn't have such bad paranoia. It is always my undoing. I over think, over analyse, then just plain make stuff up in my head. It is so tiring and so destructive. The sign post in the picture above sums up my head perfectly. There is so much in there, so many things pointing in different directions and I get confused. This week I am lost, confused, bewildered and unsure. I need to stop again, rest and recuperate. Start again early next week with a plan, a list and a goal. I already miss the happy, confident me I was starting to see in my posts.
I have just realised something. I knew this post had to be written tonight. It has worked.
My decision is already made. I will take a step forward. If I really wanted to take a step back then I would have already done it. Now to sleep and muster up some energy to fight the demon even harder tomorrow.
Jo xo

Hi Jo,
ReplyDeleteI think you are right... if you wanted to 'step back' you wouldn't have come here to write your post, but you did so well done! I hope you have a good sleep and things seem easier when you wake in the morning. At least by writing this you have gotten some of those thoughts 'out of your head'... I will check back to see how you are...
Emma x
Thank you Emma. This week has been a real struggle but I managed a day out with hubby and the kids today at a wildlife sanctuary. Some fresh air has helped clear my head. I'm so glad I blogged last night, I really didn't want to miss a week, these challenges are really helping me :)
DeleteJo xo
Jo the fact that you have blogged about how you are feeling is a decision in itself. This whole journey has given us all a new support network to share with. Sometimes it's enough just to put it out there and share. Just know that we are here if you need an ear that can just listen if you need.
ReplyDeleteWill be thinking of you over the next few days,
Annaleis xx
Thank you so much Annaleis. Today is better than yesterday and that was better than the day before. One foot in front of the other at the moment but I have discovered this new support network and the benefits of just writing things down. Thank you so much xo
DeleteHope you are having a better day x
ReplyDeleteI am definitely better than I was :) Thank you for checking xo
DeleteJO i am in tears reading this because I feel your pain and wish I had been on top of my reading and seen this earlier. I am so glad you took the step forward and came here. Like Anneleis said this is a support network and I am honestly happy to offer up any support you need. If you veer need to email me I am happy to listen. I am in a better place than I was when in the thick of my PND but still battle with depression and anxiety - it IS a battle and one I make a choice to win (even when i too want to go the other way). When we can't make the choice to fight for ourself it is good that you at least fight for your husband, kids and friends (my kids are my #1 source of strength to fight) as tomorrow is usually a brighter day if we can fight through the bad days and moments! - thinking of you and hear to listen any time - deb xx
ReplyDeleteps - did you buy the shoes? you can do it!
deb @ home life simplified
Deb, please don't apologise. You always read the blogs and it is no small feat! I am in a better place than I used to be but not as far away from it all as I hope to be. The downs aren't quite as low but the best thing is that they are over much quicker. I am getting a great understanding of why they happen and how I can talk myself around a lot faster than before. A lot of it is thanks to your SYL challenge.
DeleteI went shopping for the shoes twice. The first time ended in a major panic attack and lots of tears. The second time I went, I made sure I was most comfortable so I went with my best friend and without the children, nice and calm haha. I found some and then sent hubby back with my son to try them on and buy them. I like that I can now find a way that works for everyone :)