I have friends that feed their children at the exact same time every day. Their children go to bed for a nap at exactly the same time every afternoon. The night time has a routine that goes dinner, bath, stories and bed. I am pretty sure I'm the opposite of these people. My day goes like this....
Get up, feed kids, take 1 to school. Feed little kids when they start to ask for food, lunch can be anywhere from 12-2pm. The littlest can go to bed for a nap any time between then as well, or not at all. Night time routine goes like this....
Dinner, tv time, bed. We are starting to put some story time in here. Usually it is the big kids reading to the little kids while I make sure everyone is ready and has everything they need for the night (ooh! I think we're starting our own routine!! A break through I didn't even notice until now!). I think I have just found a starting point. Go me!
I've resisted being a 'routine person' for such a long time because I always thought it wouldn't work for me. I just go with the flow. The words of Dr Phil come to mind....
Hmmmm, let's just say it's not working so well. Obviously or I wouldn't be here every week trying to simplify my life!! Time for a change of thinking, time to step out of my safe little, out of routine, crazy, mixed up world and see if I can get it under control. Now for a plan, I'm going to stick with my baby steps because I've already proved to myself that they work best for me.
The new plan will include menu planning EVERY week. I will print out a few weeks sheets so I have no excuse to plan again when the week has finished. The kids loved this and I found it much easier at 5pm at night when I didn't even have to think about what to cook (by 5pm my brain has usually just packed up and left me). This will also help bring the grocery shopping in to our routine. I will HAVE to shop on the same day each week or we will not have any food haha. Sometimes forced routine is good!
The other routine that I need to implement involves the rest of the family. So far I've found it difficult to engage them all in my goals because they are all so different. Trav could live in a house of mess and not even notice that it was there! It honestly just doesn't bother him which is fine, except it bothers me and I'm making this all about me! haha.
The kids are 14, 12, 3 and 1. They even go Boy. Girl, Boy, Girl. So each have their own toys, clothes, shoes, books, bikes or scooters. You get the picture. Stuff, EVERYWHERE! They don't seem to mind where they leave it either. My plan is to make Monday housework day for me. Put everything back where it should be after the weekend and give the house a good clean. Then on Friday afternoon, it is housework day for everyone. Then we can get the house ready for a relaxing or fun filled weekend.
The thing I have to do with this (and I must thank Annaleis from http://www.teapotsandtractors.com/ for this tip!) is make this fun or at least not stressful. I need to smile and just make it all normal. When I stopped to think about this, I realised that I get quite grumpy when I try to get everyone to help, it's not a nice experience for anyone. I don't blame them for avoiding housework like the plague! Housework is going to be normal in our house. Just like the school run or the grocery shopping.
I am finally able to feel a little breathing room after another down time. This roller coaster that is depression, is a tiring ride.
Jo xo


Jo, i am so sorry you are suffering from depression. It is bloody hard work! I know it feels impossible to get into any kind of routine with depression weighing you down. All I can add is, try to put in a routine for a little 'you' time. It makes the day just a little bit more bearable! What I have done throughout suffering depression is chosen a time of the day that 'life goes on without me', that is, for me, straight after dinner, and I sneak away from the kids happily playing and have a nice shower, then get into my pjs before tackling the 'bedtime routine'. It just means, once the kids are off to sleep, I'm already in 'relax' mode myself.
ReplyDeleteYour plan sounds good Jo. I love Kate's advice... xxx
ReplyDeleteEmma
Good luck with your new plan! Sounds like it's doable!
ReplyDeleteNice post, I love your lightheartedness! Your image at the top is brilliant! I, too, would like to get into menu planning. I started in one of the previous challenges, but it has fallen to the wayside. I never thought of how it would alleviate the 5pm "what are we going to have for dinner" headache! Thanks for the motivation to get on it!
ReplyDeleteLove your baby steps that you are attempting - that is the good way to go instead of a major overhaul. you try on routines and see what helps you and go from there.
ReplyDeletelove kate's advice too!!
deb @ home life simplified