Saturday, 9 June 2012

SYL - Week 22

Decluttering our stuff


This week I'm going to start with the final facts because I'm so proud of them and my family for helping me get it done. We rid our home of 


6 garbage bags of donated items


2 garbage bags of rubbish


2 big boxes of items to take to second hand market (Most came home but will now be donated)


and a pile of hard rubbish ready to go out for roadside collection this coming week.




Impressed? I sure am!! I'm so, so proud of myself, hubby and the teens. We all worked together to declutter the old playroom, which is now Sophie's bedroom, a spot in the hallway that has just become a dumping ground for the things no one know what to do with and the broken items around the house that are going out for collection.


Even though this is just the start of the process, I can already feel the changes. There is less to worry and stress about and less for the kids to mess up. The fact that the whole family worked together, well the little ones just played with the new toys they found at the bottom of the boxes but they were still with us!, was fantastic. I think the thing that lifted my spirits so much was that the teens saw the need for the decluttering and were both more than willing to help us work towards a simple household and lifestyle. Life is starting to have a purpose again, oh purpose, how I've missed you.


We definitely haven't run a sprint race, we've just started our marathon at a great pace. (We still haven't touched our bedroom yet, that will be a day in itself!). I love that I am already looking at cupboards or bookcases and seeing new homes for them, in spaces where they would be much more useful. One of them will be filling up that dumping ground mentioned earlier to ensure that it doesn't get to that point again!


More of the same planned for this coming week, things are really looking up again :)


Jo xo


p.s. I just realised that I managed to achieve my goal from last week. I got this blog post written earlier than last week! Written and linked up on Saturday! haha. I wonder how early I can get next week's post done? 

9 comments:

  1. So awesome Jo I can feel your lightness and pride, keep it up hon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. It has definitely made my whole life lighter already. I am also much more motivated to keep going :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Jo! I am so jealous. So need to that here to, so small steps. Well done again. Sooz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sooz. Baby steps have got me to where I am and I'm so glad I took the time to slow down and get focussed again or I would have stopped many weeks ago! Keep working on those small steps, you'll get there xo

      Delete
  3. Imagine how much space all that stuff was taking up! Well done getting everyone involved and sounding so positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to imagine why or how we had all that extra stuff! Getting everyone involved was really the turning point for me. The teens are excited about making their own spaces and keeping them nice. Thank you so much for your encouragement xo

      Delete
  4. Wow that is an awesome effort!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slow and steady wins the race!! Congrats on starting the marathon!! Your excitement is contagious!

    ReplyDelete