Tuesday, 19 June 2012

SYL - Week 24

This is the week where I need to find a way to get past the hurdle I always fall at.

Clutter prevention


I have decluttered in the past (obviously, or I would have been on the TV show Hoarders by now). I love to declutter, to start again with a blank slate...... but it never lasts. That clean bookshelf, table top, mantel piece, etc, always ends up collecting stuff again. I need to find a way to keep myself motivated to declutter and clean constantly. I also need to teach the rest of the family that if you just put it away when you're finished with it, then there is no tidying to do later. I'm guilty of forgetting this myself of course.

I can tell that we are heading in the right direction. Areas of our house are less cluttered. The mantel piece is a good example, Trav and I cleaned it off months ago as one of the jobs we were going to get done that week. Right now it has photos and candles on it, Mother's Day cards (ok, they could probably come down now but one of them is a pink Super Mum card and I love it!! so they stay until we move house very soon), and 2 bottles of perfume which need to be put away. To me, this is a win. After the last clean of the same area there would have been full of all kinds of things that had been picked up and no one had bothered to find a home for. We are learning and I'm proud of us.

We are moving house in the next couple of weeks so again, this section of SYL has come along at the perfect time. We've had a big declutter so far, more will be done as we start to seriously pack, and I have found the perfect motto to keep in my head as I decide what moves with us and what has to go somewhere else.


I love this quote. It is simple and easy. It puts me in control. When I see something, as I pack, this quote will help me stop for a second and think. If it is neither useful or beautiful out it goes! Simple. Must go and get some boxes out of the shed and start packing......

12 comments:

  1. Moving is always good to do some de-cluttering. I am only one step ahead of you with the mother's day cards - mine have made it from the fridge to the top of my dressing table, in a pile of other 'craft' that I feel I need to keep... need to work out a solution to keeping the sentimental stuff the kids make!

    Emma x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sentimental stuff is so hard to file somewhere. I like the idea of photographing it and writing a little story about it. I wonder if I'll ever find the time to do it though!

      Jo

      Delete
  2. I don't want to move but I would really like to have that whole house sorted feeling! Always something else to do around here. We have hotspots for dumping - my kitchen bench is one but we are actually improving! Sounds like your doing well Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annaleis, things are getting there. I'm dreading the mess that we will have to make this week to pack! but I am going to enjoy finding new homes for everything and getting to do a proper declutter all at once!

      Delete
  3. progress is something to be celebrated - slow and steady makes things stick.

    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb :) Slow and steady is definitely working well for me

      Delete
  4. I also have a "super mom" mothers day card and have had a hard time putting away! I have even already put the fathers day cards away!! Good luck with the packing! Keep that quote with the yellow chair close to you at all times!! (I love it!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely keep it close Beth. I love it too :) Thanks for your continued support xo

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your packing/move & making the decluttering stick - we're moving Sat & I've loved decluttering while packing this time, thanks to things like the quote you used here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your move too! A nice fresh start can sometimes help so much, hope it does for both of us.

      Delete
  6. Remember it is a work in progress. something we will always have to work at. the hardest thing I find to do is get rid of my sentimental things.... the gifts the cards. I've started a memories folder like scrapbooking but on my laptop. I am taking pictures and writing about the "sentimental" things so I can declutter them.
    congrats on the great job you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita. I love the idea of a digital memory folder. I think I might have to give that a go too :)

      Delete