I'm down trodden. Weeks are flying by and I am hardly noticing. I think it's one of those times when I have too much on and I am not organising myself well enough. I used to love blogging, reading, posting, planning, Googling images and quotes. I still want to do it but feel like I don't have the time or the energy.
Tonight I have realised what part of the problem is, a BIG part when it comes to SYL. I am not reading other blogs or commenting on them. I've let myself drop out of the little community that we used to have and it has really taken all of the emotion out of this challenge for me. I need to get that back. I know that week 32 is all about balance and as usual, that is coming along at exactly the right time. I am making sure that I follow along properly though so I will complete weeks 30 and 31 first!
Creating Habits Week 30
I honestly struggle to create habits. I don't have the best memory so if I am not used to do something all the time, chances are I will forget to do it. It's like when I run out of draining paper. It's not something I often buy so I never think of it when I'm at the shops. If it is written on my list I will but if I haven't glanced in the pantry to see what we're out of, then I won't give it a thought. I never forget bread or milk though because I'm in the habit of buying it every single time.
So the trick is going to be to set up the habit in the right way. Some way that will allow me to remember what needs to be done, in a way that makes life simpler.
Obviously, if I put draining paper on the shopping list every week I won't forget to buy it. Habit formed! Problem - we will have a pantry full of draining paper and no room for food. So I need to look at it in a different way.
The plan now is to write things down as we run out of them. The shopping list sits on the notice board in the kitchen/dining area so that anyone can write on it at any time. On a perfect day, I won't have to check the pantry before I write the list, the list should be already written for me! So far so good with this. Everyone is starting to use it and it has really taken the pressure off me.
I love that instead of giving up like I once would have, I've learned to think outside the square and find a system that works for us. There are many systems out there, I just never took the time to look.
Week 31 is a catch up week, which I obviously needed! I revisited my vision board the other day and it put a smile on my face. Without really concentrating on it, I have managed to move along in recent months and get everything heading in the right direction.
We might not own our own house but we have moved in to a bigger one. One that fits our family well. It's tough to house 2 teenagers and 2 toddlers and keep everyone happy but things are going much more smoothly in this new house. The organisation is still to come, moving was more than difficult and we have gone easy on ourselves but it is time to get in and do a new home audit and get things set up the way we want them.
I spend every night falling asleep to meditation and relaxation recordings. I feel much more calm and centred than I did 6 months ago. I feel like I manage to find more time for myself than I used to.
My business is now a fully fledged business. Little Hannah Bear now has an online store at Oz Handmade and I will have some of my products sold on consignment in a real bricks and mortar store in Belgrave, Vic early next month. It is all so exciting and going so well. I've never known what I wanted to do 'when I grow up'. I think now I do, I want to create. Who knows where it will take me, that is not important right now. Baby steps again, that's what works best for me.
My relationship still needs some work but we're getting there. We won't always have 4 kids at home, 2 of which are little and home with us 24/7. I feel that if we can just hang on to each other for a few more years, there will be time for us. I can't wait but kids grow up way too fast so for now we shall enjoy them all.
This week I am going to find some time to read and comment. I miss the usual bunch of SYL people! I need to get back in touch and cheer them on again. It makes me feel good and that's exactly what I need today
xo Jo

You are doing so well!! i love your lttle hannah bear stuff!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ann :) I have found a long lost side of me since I started sewing again. I just love it :)
DeleteIt sounds like you are making some great steps towards a simpler life. Sometimes it is just a small change, as in your way to do your grocery list, that is needed. Visiting from the SYL12 Challenge. Stacey-Lee :D
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by Stacey-Lee. I have had more luck with this challenge than anything I've tried in the past because I've taken it slowly :)
DeleteIts great that your dream business is going so well. Its a huge achievement, well done. I love the idea of meditation before bed.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am totally in my element at the moment and feel like the sky is the limit! I love listening to my meditation tapes before bed. They help me clear my mind and stop me thinking of the 100 jobs I have to do tomorrow so I can go to sleep!
DeleteCongratulations on your business! I love your stuff! Sounds like you are doing really well with the challenges...nice to see you back!
ReplyDeleteOh it is so nice to be back! Thank you for your lovely comments xo
Deletelost my comment - damn! anyway - glad you are reconnecting and visiting the other blogs - it is a tiny group now so would love to see the feedback and support happening (myself included as life is crazy busy some weeks and i end up catching yup on 2-3 weeks of posts at a time)
ReplyDeletethe list of run out things is my go to method - pad on fridge!
Thanks Deb. I am really making time to comment again this week, it's so easy to read comments even on my own posts and not find the time to reply!! Back to finding some me time and having a read :)
DeleteHi Jo, I'm back and catching up @ the same time, seems a few of us have moved and/or had big life challenges all at once. I love that you've found your progress happened without really focusing on it - I think setting your intentions clearly through the early stages of the challenge has helped progress happen in all those areas you want it to. well done!
ReplyDeleteHi Shelle! Welcome back! I think you're right about getting everything set up right in the early weeks. I have never stuck to anything this long before and definitely would have let anything else laps after a difficult time like moving house! So glad we're back! :D
Delete