Sunday, 22 April 2012

SYL - Week 16

I just have to say..... Week 16?!?!?!!!! That means there is only 10 more weeks until the middle of the year. Wow! Ok now better get on with it! (see what time management is so important for me? I'm already wasting blogging time!)

When I read that this week's task was all about slowing down I knew that it was going to put me a little out of my comfort zone. I am so used to doing 10 things at once and having 100 things on my mind at the time. I was determined to give it a go though, I was even a little excited at the thought of clearing my head and getting less done but doing it better. That is exactly what I got.


I started off the week by writing myself 3 tasks to do each day. These were to be the minimum effort required. Every day seemed to focus on something different as well, me time, family time, hubby time, exercise, it was all in there. I was proud of the way I had set it out and I put it as the desktop background on my laptop so I could look at it during my down time at night.


Week Start


I had lots of success at the start of the week. I was more organised and had taken the pressure off myself. The decluttering of the previous week had really helped here as well. I knew what I had to do and I was getting it done. I also sat with the kids (Trav was at work) and we came up with a 1 week meal plan. They really enjoyed this and have referred back to it many times this week, even if once Sophie, 11, had a tantrum because she got her days mixed up and looked forward to chicken schnitzel all day when in fact we were having spag bol. I understand her pain!!

At the end of the week, I sat and reviewed my list of tasks.

Week End


I am really proud of the way things went for the first 4 days. Thursday night Trav did the dishes for me because I had a really busy day. That was really nice. From Thursday, the wheels started to fall off. I was busy sewing new items to sell and got really excited and carried away and forgot to stop and reflect on what was important and urgent. Most of the tasks still got done for the end of the week but they weren't all done on the intended day. I made myself cover as many as I could though because quite a few involved spending time with Trav and the kids and they were loving that.

I was really upset that I had finished the week badly when I realised that I had just been shown how planning works and why it is beneficial for me. The start of the week was refreshing and almost easy, the end of the week we were running late, I was anxious and overwhelmed again. Why? At the start of the week I planned and stuck to it, at the end of the week I had all but forgotten about it until the end of the day.

So I am totally in love with planning now, even meal planning. Already knowing what was for dinner really was a load off my mind and Cameron, 14, even helped me prepare dinner most nights. He is cooking at school and instead of me being all flustered and sending him out of the way, we both knew what we were cooking and had fun. I am now a meal planner!

I have decided to go back to my baby steps and plan from Monday to Thursday and then do a new plan on Thursday that will cover Friday and the weekend. I am not used to looking a week ahead and planning activities, I need to just do a few days at a time and then, as things change, I can include them in the plan later in the week. Once again, somehow, I have managed to start a day feeling very down on myself but stopped and looked and saw my lesson to be learnt. 

Life is not easy but if I plan and go easy on myself then I can do this.

14 comments:

  1. I have to plan my 3 tasks to be completed each morning...sometimes they roll over from the day before and take into account what else we have to do that day! Great that you got the kids involved in Meal planning and even food prep. Can't wait to my two children that are at home are old enough to 'really' help with tea or even cook tea every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might even try just planning those three tasks every morning. With 4 kids, life changes often around here! The kids helping to cook has been great for us all, it takes a little pressure off me and teaches them great skills :)

      Delete
  2. Even if it wasn't really what you wanted, I think it is great that the wheels started to fall off! You could very clearly see the benefit of what you were doing and how great it worked for you on the days you did go according to plan, compared to those it didn't go according to plan. I think it is a great idea to break the planning into two. Very smart baby steps indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate. I am very glad it happened as well. It really proved that the plan had worked, I couldn't ignore the difference between the first few days and the last few days. It also proved to me that I have come far enough to stop the negative thinking and find the lesson to be learnt. These baby steps are actually getting me there faster than the big races I used to try and run :)

      Delete
  3. Oh this is great. You made a plan and stuck to it and it worked, then the wheels fell of and you realised you need to make a better way for your plan to work (e.g Mon-Thurs plan then plan again on Thursday). I think this is great learnings you have made this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bec. I definitely learnt a lot this week and I'm a person that learns faster with concrete proof so the wheels falling off in the first week was probably perfect for me. Today I feel all refreshed and reset and ready to go again :)

      Delete
  4. high fives!! go you :) can i just say i totally LOVE that you set it as your desktop background - what a great idea, and ten million points for visibility xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lyndal. I'm really finding my feet now. Visibility is so important for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think bupy the process not going as smoothly as you intended you obviously learnt so much that you might not have it had been easy sailing. I really like that you have adjusted your ideas to fit with how your life really is. Very inspiring read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I find that when things go right, I just go along not even thinking much about it, the fact that the wheels fell off so quickly, proved to me straight away that life really was easier when I planned! Thanks for your lovely comments xo

      Delete
  7. so much goodness in this post Jo - lessons learned, involving the family, realising how good you were doing instead of beating yourself up for the wheels falling off etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I love how you talk about implementing new plans and then having to adjust to make them work. It is really hard! I am finding this too, that my weekly planner needs some tweaking to make it easier because I know at the end of the day that it will eventually help to make things easier. you have inspired me to stick with it and change it when/if necessary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel :) I am still tweaking things a little but am slowly coming up with a system that works for me. I think I failed in the past because I tried to stick to a system that worked for someone else. We all do things differently so surely we all need different plans in place :) Well done on deciding to stick with it, I'm sure it will make things easier for both of us when we find the perfect way for ourselves

      Delete
  9. Sometimes it takes an off track day or two to realise that having a plan in place is a good thing! Glad you are enjoying planning. Stacey-Lee :D

    ReplyDelete